The Henderson Hospital Campaign Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Email sent to Dr Diana Menzies (Consultant Psychiatrist)

3 posters

Go down

Email sent to Dr Diana Menzies (Consultant Psychiatrist) Empty Email sent to Dr Diana Menzies (Consultant Psychiatrist)

Post  Karl Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:00 pm

Dr Diana Menzies

I am writing this Email after reading many different articles in the media since just before Christmas, when I learnt of the plans to close the Henderson Hospital. As an Ex Resident (1990) I find the news that The Henderson is due to close very upsetting and disturbing. I spend 7/8 months in the Hendo, the experience and insight this gave me was a once in a life time opportunity to take charge of my own life. It now disturbs me that others may never have the same chances that I had. I found myself wondering exactly what resources will be available to people that find themselves at the mercy of mainstream mental health care.

Whilst I am not at the top of the academic ladder, I do feel that I would like the chance to help raise awareness of The Henderson’s plight. I have already began to index every news story I can find on the closure of The Henderson and also helped point a great deal of people to the petition on the Downing Street site.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savethehendo/

Bumping news stories back up the agenda, in order to keep the stories in today’s news. Many of The Henderson Ex Residents have taken the time to comment on all the News stories where feedback can be left.

I would imagine that many of The Henderson’s residents and staff feel very insecure at the moment and that feelings in the community as a whole are running at a high. I would like to take the opportunity to reassure you all, you are not on your own. I can’t imagine that there is an Ex Resident or staff that are aware of the threat of closure, that do not feel your pain, despair and possible distraction caused by this oncoming threat. I can’t imagine what it must be like for those trying to work through their issues whilst this is looming in the back of their minds.

I find myself in a position of wanting to help fight any planned closure of one of the best therapeutic communities in the world. A cause that I am unable to turn my back upon and I know from reading the many articles in the media that many others feel the same way. I have opened a forum on the internet dedicated to help “Save The Henderson”. I am optimistic that this forum can help to draw like minded people into a forum where we can brainstorm and put together some sort of campaign. I shall also be writing emails and letters to just about everyone I can find an address for that could help by giving leverage to a very important cause. There is a link to the forums below, it’s not at all busy as yet but I am getting a lot of interest.

https://savethehenderson.forumotion.com/index.htm

I am not great at the written word so I will start to end this letter now, but I would like to leave you and anyone else who may read this mail with a couple things.

In a far away land, there was an old lady walking along a beach, just after a large wave had engulfed the seafront. Thousands upon thousands of starfish were washed up on the shore. One by one, the old lady started to put the starfish back into the sea, when a young boy came up to her. He ask the old lady what she was doing, the old lady said ”I’m putting the starfish back in the sea” the boy looked confused and asked “what’s the point, you’re not help anyone”. The old lady then replied “Well It’s helped this one and this one and this one too” the boy understood and began to help, as did all the villagers that heard the conversation.

If we all do a little, together, we can do a lot

I wonder how many times in nature have we removed a species from the food chain or through our own ignorance damage whole eco systems beyond repair, only too find out when it’s too late, what their importance was to our very existence.
I believe if The Henderson Hospital is to close, we may have to learn the very same lessons again.

Lastly
Please feel free to contact my at this Email address if I can be of any assistance and also share this email with The Henderson’s community as you see fit.

I wish you all the very best of luck

Karl Adaway (1990)

Last edited by on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Karl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Email sent to Dr Diana Menzies (Consultant Psychiatrist) Empty Re Email to Dr. Menzies

Post  DavidM Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:48 pm

Karl,

I've just read the email you sent to Dr. Menzies and wanted to say what a brilliant, heartfelt piece of writing it is. It has only increased my determination to do whatever I can to help save the Henderson.

I've written to the local MP, Paul Burstow (we use the same fish and chip shop!) and know he is taking this up with NHS officials and ministers. I've also written to the Senior Consultant at the Hospital offering to help with any existing campaign or to help start one. Of course, I've signed the petition and will encourage others to do so.

Do you know if the Hospital has a "Friends" organisation? I've asked the question of the hospital but expect some delay in getting a reply. If no such group exists - then maybe we should start one!

Best wishes,
David

DavidM

http://www.fourdirections.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Email sent to Dr Diana Menzies (Consultant Psychiatrist) Empty Re: Email sent to Dr Diana Menzies (Consultant Psychiatrist)

Post  Karl Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:05 am

Good on ya mate, the more letters, the higher the profile. I am still waiting for a reply to this EMail but I guess that will take a little time. Once that happens I will be writting even more letters to see if we can't get a few TV personalities involved What a Face

Watch this space

Karl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Email sent to Dr Diana Menzies (Consultant Psychiatrist) Empty Friends of the Henderson

Post  Veritee2 Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Friends of the Henderson

As far as I know there is no such group - but I have always thought there should be Smile
And I and a few others made this point recently in the two Yahoo groups which are also concerned with the closure of the Henderson and other TCs.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TC-ClosureProject/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TC-OF/

I would be very happy if such a group was set up, and I am sure others would be too.
I live a long way from the Henderson now - in West Cornwall - but will help if I can
Just let me know

Veritee

Veritee2

http://www.pni.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Email sent to Dr Diana Menzies (Consultant Psychiatrist) Empty Re: Email sent to Dr Diana Menzies (Consultant Psychiatrist)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down