The Henderson Hospital Campaign Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henderson Hospital. One Year On

Go down

Henderson Hospital. One Year On Empty Henderson Hospital. One Year On

Post  Karl Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:20 pm

Henderson Hospital. One Year On

Here we are, a year after the closure of Henderson Hospital was rudely announced on the radio. So, what happened since and what is being done to save this life saving and changing service.
Almost since the very first day the stories of Henderson’s faith broke, there have been many people from all walks of life campaigning to save the hospital. There has been a great deal of letters to and dealing with MP’s from all parties. Some MP’s feel compelled to add their weight to the campaign and others such as Ken Livingstone, Boris Johnson and David Cameron seemed to either discard the matter or simply ignore it. It would seem that saving a service that has saved and touched so many lives, it just not high enough on the political agenda to warrant their attention. The best excuse being “It’s out of our constituency, so out of our hands” although it’s been pointed out every time, that the closure will effect services from all constituencies, even theirs, they still fail to respond.

With the common trend and real lack of interest from Ministers across the political spectrum, it makes you wonder just what they are afraid of. What it is that holds them back from involving themselves in a matter of real national importance?

We find ourselves having 2 wars over the last decade, we find ourselves at the brink of one of the worst recessions the world have ever seen, a country that has lost control of its youths but yet we are well enough informed to believe that the treatment model that is The Henderson is no longer needed in our society. A flagship service that is recognised worldwide for its pioneering treatment of people with server personality disorders is being discarded because the people that matter don’t care enough about the long term implications of Henderson will have on the treatment of people with personality disorders will have in mental health worldwide. Could it be that we have lost our pride and will to make the world a better place? Have we become so ignorant that the welfare of our generations, past, present and the future have been discarded in favour of sticky plaster, sleeping pill and magic get back to work spray?

The campaigner has not gone unheard, we have managed to secure one of the largest public consultations the UK has ever seen. With Primary Care Trusts taking part from across the country, but I can’t help wondering if this is a consolation prize for all our work and words falling on death ears. If the whole process will change the minds of those in power to stop this charade or if the T’s have been crossed and the I’s dotted before the consolations have even taken place. Or whether or not the debate will be entered into with an open mind and without bios either way. I’d like to think this would be the case but I fear the reality will be a different matter.

I find it hard to believe this countries attitude towards mental health and the very people that use it. It seems to lean far more towards getting people back to work as soon as possible, than the long term care and recovery of the people involved. Whereas mainstream NHS care can now be a matter of choice, give the best care available, with the shortest delay possible. Health care that can now include “Patients Choice” a choice to go private and hotel rooms being used instead of wards. Both of which are deigned to psychiatric service users. A 2 tear health service that alienated people who do not fit into what is today’s NHS.

Closing The Henderson hospital is like removing a limb from every man, woman and child that this counties various institutions have left them behind. Robbing them of what might be their last chance to hold on when all of the institutions in place have left them behind. The very institutions that have failed them at every opportunity, again and again without fear or acknowledgement.

With all the talk about recession and all the money our government has borrowed to save us from the hands of our banks and the billions that have been raised to try and save our economy., would a few more millions to save The Henderson really make that much difference? I can’t help wondering what effect closing Henderson will have on all our tomorrow’s

Finally
Food for Thought

Fire a £5,000,000 missile at your enemies, you might kill a few of them. Fire you enemy into The Henderson Hospital you could change their whole mindset forever...

Karl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Henderson Hospital. One Year On Empty Re: Henderson Hospital. One Year On

Post  Karl Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:21 pm

This topic is still being worked on, please feel free to add any coments as we go.

Karl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Henderson Hospital. One Year On Empty Henderson Hospital

Post  Tom Brak Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:42 am

The battle to ensure the type of care provided by the Henderson Hospital continues to be available to those who need it will continue in 2009.

I will do what I can to ensure Ministers and the NHS understand its importance.

Tom Brake MP

Tom Brak

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi Tom

Thank you for your post, it's great to know that you are still on side. It's funny how no matter how much we do, it doesn't feel like enough. I will be a drawn out process but a process we will have to go through, none the less.

What has been allowed to take place with The Henderson, is shameful but as with all mental healthcare in the UK seems to go unnoticed by the general public. Hopefully The Henderson’s profile will be raised when the consolation takes place. I wish I could find a way to draw more attention to the EDM, as that has been stale since the start of the summer recess, it there a drum you could bang to raise the EDM’s profile?

Thanks again for you comment’s and commitment to The Henderson and it’s campaign, it is very much appreciated .

Karl

Karl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down